Lumineers ™ is the trade name for the non-prep veneers of the US dental manufacturer Den-Mat and are being produced in the U.S. in the Cerinate Dental Studio by Den-Mat and recently also in Switzerland. The company uses as a matrix (ground mass) for manufacturing the Lumineers their own patented Cerinate ™ ceramic.
This is a high strength leucite reinforced feldspatic ceramic which is pressed under high temperature in the proper tooth shape. The tensile strenght properties of the Cerinate ceramic allows the dental technician to manufacture veneers that can be as thin as contact lenses. The veneers therefore can be as thin as only 0.2 to 0.3 mm. This is way they are called also contact lenses veneers.
What are the Lumineers™?
Lumineers ™ are basically nothing more than ordinary (regular) non-prep veneers, however, through the marketing efforts and advertising of the company Den-Mat they have achieved a high degree of popularity.
Meanwhile, the Lumineers ® have been used for over 20 years in the U.S. where the technique and the materials involved have constantly improved.
The patented cast Cerinate porcelain is so robust that it can be made as thin as a contact lens. Since Lumineers are so thin, the grinding down of the tooth structure is in most cases unnecessary.
It is important to note that Lumineers are not the only (or most appropriate) cosmetic dentistry alternative for every case of discolored, crooked, chipped, misaligned or otherwise misshapen teeth.
Can I get Lumineers from every dentist?
Lumineers can be done only by certified dentists in comparison to other veneer types.
These dentists must complete a training course offered by the manufacturer, thus having the necessary expertise to process and insert the Lumineers. We are proud to tell you that our dental office in Hannover is certified to offer you Lumineers.
Pros of Lumineers
- Due to the non-prep procedure provisional veneers are no longer necessary. This will result in more comfort and convenience for the patient
- For the non- prep version there is no need for shots or grinding down of the healthy tooth structure
- Warranty: The manufacturer grants a 5-year warranty on the Lumineers ®. Whatever the reason- lost, broken or damaged- the shell will be replaced free of charge within 5 years for the patient
- It is a proven technology: Lumineers have been used in the U.S. for over 20 years. The durability and color stability have been documented in many studies. Long-term studies show a life expectancy of up to 20 years
- The technique is well suited for teeth that have a thin layer of enamel. In this case a conventional preparation will lead to the removal of the thin enamel layer, thus impairing to a lack of bonding effect with eventually debonding of the restauration
- Lumineers are well suited for teeth of young patients. Teeth being injured as a result of fracture or trauma can be fitted for a long-term optimum with Lumineers
- The Lumineers are reversible. They can be completely removed from the tooth without leaving any residue, so the teeth can be brought to their original form
- Lumineers can be bonded on existing ceramic crowns or bridges. Large PFM ceramic bridges with damaged or altered ceramic can be in some circumsatnces repaired or restored by using the Lumineer technique thereby avoiding the costly renewal of the entire bridgework
Cons of Lumineers
- The non- prep version of the Lumineers cannot be used in all the cases. Nested or large teeth can seldom be covered with Lumineers without prepping the teeth
- To ensure a thorough form and color unity, it is recommended to cover at least 4 to 10 teeth per jaw with Lumineers
- Since the ceramic is very thin, severely discolored or dark teeth cannot be covered adequately. In this case an opaque bonding is needed. This will result in some circumstances in white unnatural looking teeth
Since Lumineers are currently manufactured only in the U.S., it takes up to 4 weeks for the work to be completed. However, due to the lack of preparation of the teeth this disadvantage is minimal. However we can offer you as a alternative to Lumineers the Avante PressTige No-Prep veneers that do work the same like Lumineers but will be done within one week.
Lumineers ™ and Cerinate ™ are registered trademarks of Den-Mat, Santa Maria, Ca. USA.